Hello everyone! I’m back.

This weekend I was working on a dress which I was asked by a close friend to make, for her sister. She gave me her measurements and I started designing the pattern immediately.

The pattern is available on the bottom of the post, if you are interested.

I used a burgundy elastic velvet fabric that is a total a pain in the ass to work with. It slips, it stretches, it makes your room messy and it’s extremely delicate. You cannot rip seams in this one because it is going to be very visible and there is nothing you can do to fix that. So anyway, I looked stuff up online, read articles on how to handle this little troublemaker and the most important things I kept are these:

  1. baste
  2. use stretch stitch, and
  3. use silk thread.

I couldn’t find silk thread, so I used polyester (good quality though).

Anyway, I cut the pattern pieces and started putting them together and basting in order to achieve a DECENT stitch. I started by pinning the two back pieces together.

DSC_0409DSC_0412

Then I pinned the sleeves and made a notch to point out the middle top.

DSC_0413DSC_0414

I placed the front piece on my desk to place the strap I used as a belt to get a better shape.

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

I pinned and basted.

DSC_0419.jpg

I tried a couple of different sewing machine settings to get the best matching stitch for my fabric. I used the following settings and needle.

DSC_0422DSC_0423DSC_0424DSC_0427

I stitched the back pieces together and then the straps on the bottom pieces.

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

I cut out the fabric pieces that didn’t match the back and front pieces.

DSC_0434DSC_0435

I hemmed some edges using a zig zag stitch.

DSC_0436DSC_0437DSC_0439

I hemmed the neckline as seen below.

DSC_0440DSC_0445

At this point If you are using an elastic fabric it is better to use an interfacing tape around the neckline to make it steadier.

DSC_0446

Then I took the circle skirt piece and marked the middle with a pin, and tried to attach the middle to the back middle seamline.

DSC_0453

DSC_0451.jpg

I started pinning that bottom piece to the top piece and marked where I needed to stitch the skirt.

DSC_0455.jpg

I stitched, hemmed and cut off the excess fabric.

DSC_0461.jpg

This is how it looked so far. Pretty nice, isn’t it?

DSC_0462.jpg

Then I pinned the inner top of the sleeve and started attaching it to the bodice.

DSC_0463.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

I stitched, hemmed and cut off the excess fabric.

DSC_0477.jpg

Then I hemmed the bottom of the sleeve and stitched and hemmed untill the end.

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

Then I started hemming the bottom of my circle piece. It took me a lot of time.

DSC_0484DSC_0485DSC_0487DSC_0488DSC_0489DSC_0490

And ta-dah! Here it is finished!

This is it from me, tell me what you think! I would love to hear back from anyone who tries this or any of my little sewing adventures 🙂

-Fotini

PS: Come shoot me a like on my Facebook page! You can ask me any questions you have, follow my work, order a custom design or just have some cute DIY crafting posts occasionally pop their heads on your feed (I have an Instagram page too) 😀
PS 2: Bellow is the pattern, as promised.

PATTERN: print and tape together to get the pattern (paper size: A4)

 

 

 

 

Advertisements